Monday, September 20, 2010

Mad Men Recap: Episodes Eight and Nine



Last night's episode was titled "The Beautiful Girls" and it was definitely one for the ladies. It was hands down my favorite episode of the season thus far. First, let's talk clothing, 1965 was a good year for clothes and every piece last night was a knock-out: Betty's blue floral dress, Megan's yellow sheath, Peggy's green frock. All amazing. I even kind of liked Joyce's turquoise necklace.

More to the point of the episode was the theme of women and the confusing position women of the first wave of mid-20th century feminism were in. As Joyce says, women are pots, men are soup. "But what if I want to be soup?" What if, indeed. I found this especially interesting with regard to Faye Miller. So, she and Don are now dating regularly enough for Don to give her a key. I would say in 1965 that was a pretty big deal. Their relationship has progressed to a more modern and (I dare say) loving relationship than any Don has ever had in the past. And yet, Don still doesn't quite know what to make of Faye. He asks her to baby-sit his kid, make him a drink. He's not quite as modern and forward thinking as a younger person of the time. Faye for her part is confused about exactly what role to play in their relationship too, but she does put her foot down at the end and talks it out with Don like an adult. A very different move than the women he's been with in the past. How impressed were you to see his reaction? I think he's ready and able to love someone as modern, smart and savvy as Faye, but he's just got to take baby steps to get there.

And what of Ms. Blankenship? I found the scenes pertaining to her death to be so oddly comical. Pete trying to move her (question: why ask for the moving services of the scrawniest male at SCDP?); Megan removing the inkblotter, Megan putting her pocketbook on her body on the gurney. R.I.P. Ms. Blankenship.

Then there is Sally. I feel so bad for her and I really wanted something great to come out of her interactions with Faye Miller, but alas it is not to be. What fresh horror do you think Betty will come up with back in Ossining for the runaway?

Some stray observations/questions/musings:
-Why didn't Roger stand up to the mugger? Maybe this wasn't his first rodeo and he had done so before with negative consequences?
-I felt a bit of symbolism with Joan's wedding band, the minute it was gone she falls into Roger's arms.
-Sally Draper reading Nancy Drew
-Ugh. Why are all of the men in Peggy's life such nerdos? I can't get behind the weirdo beatnik dude, even if I do like his pairing of a leather jacket with a white shirt and skinny tie.

As for last week, I truly loved it. No, I don't want to see Don voicing over every episode, but I think it was time for it. Also:
Satisfaction during the opening credits rocked my world.
-Did no one else notice Harry Crane had a framed photo of Jed Clampitt from The Beverly Hillbillies in his office?
-I think Faye Miller is Jewish, not Italian


Until next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment