Monday, November 8, 2010

Uniform Dress

As the weather cools, I find myself gravitating toward sartorial comfort and safety in the form of my winter uniform...the black sheath dress paired with tights and (usually) black shoes. As last count, I had more than 20 such black dresses. I know, I know, I have a problem.

For anyone that is looking for a good dress, Ann Taylor makes some wonderful, inexpensive dresses that are comfortable and chic. I particularly love this one....


Ann Taylor's sheath dress.

Most of these such dresses I have are winter weight and work so well either on their own (like the one above) or, for sleeveless dresses, with a cardi or a blazer. The only problem with uniform dressing is that by mid-November it starts to look, well, uniform. People start to wonder if you have anything else in your closet.

Like so many wardrobe questions, the answer lies with accessories. Particularly interesting necklaces, as the sheath dress has the perfect neckline for showing a necklace off. A few great options:


Anthropologie's Bead Abundance necklace. A modern take on the classic pearl necklace.

Fenton/Fallon for J.Crew Carrington necklace. The name reminds me of Krystle Carrington of Dynasty fame, and the necklace itself is surely a nod to '80s excess, with just a touch of restraint. I mean, the bows could have been fuchsia.

Anthropolgie's Unexplored Pyramids necklace. Awesome name and even better necklace. I love that you could throw this on after work and head out for a Champagne cocktail and look completely polished and put together.

And, because yellow and black just look so amazing together (just avoid stripes in that scheme, bumblebee attire is cutest on toddlers) Anthropologie's Beaded Swag Bib necklace. Amazing! Just the remedy for dreary winter days.

xoxo
The Canary Diaries 







No comments:

Post a Comment